All I Want For Christmas Is A PS3

Playstation 3, PS3, Sony

As you all probably know, it is nearly impossible to get a PlayStation 5 before Christmas. That is, unless you pre-ordered months ago or you were extremely lucky to get one at launch. Both low supply and the high demand are most certainly linked to the Covid-19 epidemic. Sony's supply chain and manufacturing has been affected and at the same time people are staying more at home and playing games because of quarantines and restrictions. 

I was planning on getting a PS5 at day one, but as the launch day approached it seemed more and more unlikely. Now, I have to face the fact that I'm not going to get one before next year. A real "first world problem" if there ever was one.

Sure, it would be nice to have a flashy new console lighting up your living room, but the truth is, it's better to wait. First of all, there aren't even that many games for the PS5 yet. You can play PS4 games on it and they will run a little smoother, with shorter loading times, but they are still last gen games.

Second, I still have PS4 games that I haven't played, like Ghost of Tsushima, The Last of Us Part 2 etc. So actually, I'm in no hurry. I'm not going "to run out of" games to play.

Third, if you wait a bit longer you might get it a bit cheaper and more optimized. And again with more and cheaper games.

If this is starting to sound like I'm convincing myself that I don't need a PlayStation 5, you're right. If we want to get philosophical about it, it's a stoic method of not only accepting your fate but embracing it. That way, whatever happens to you you'll see it as something good, something that was suppose to happen and you'll be happy no matter what.

Now we're getting to the real point of this post. If you don't own a PlayStation 3 or you haven't played that many PS3 games, now would be the perfect time to catch up. If you're looking for great single player experiences you're in luck. The PS3 has a great game library and the games are now cheap as f**k. 

Sony, Playstation, PS3, Console

I discovered my passion of games pretty late, in my mid-twenties, and the PS3 was the console that made me do it. If you have been reading my blog you also know I don't just play the newest games. I very rarely buy games at launch. 

It's a common fallacy to think that new is always better, when in fact things that are old and still in use or talked about are probably better. When it comes to games there is also a problem with size and scale. In my opinion some games now are getting so big that they're almost overwhelmingly so. Not every game can and should be an open world 100 hour rpg/adventure game. Big is not always better either.

That is where my argument about the PS3 also comes in. The PS3 era had games that were perfect in both length and size. Not too big not too long. If a game is 100 hours long you're not going to replay it very often. On the other hand, a game that is 10-30 hours long you can easily replay a couple of times without getting exhausted.

What follows now is a comprehensive list of games to play on the PlayStation 3 this Christmas, and forget all about the new and flashy Playstation 5. PlayStation 3 for the win!



Assassin's Creed

Comments

Popular