Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands (PS3)

Prince of Persia is one of those game series that I have somehow managed to miss entirely. I've heard a lot of good about it and I've seen the movie but never played the game myself. I downloaded Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands a while back since it was free on Playstation Plus. Obviously I can't compare it to any previous games in the series and I can't say if it is better or worse or if stays true to the game series. I can only say that I very much enjoyed playing it.




Developed by Ubisoft and released in 2010 for the Playstation 3 it looks a lot like Assassin's Creed. Unlike AC it is not an open world game but a puzzle/platform and fighting game with clearly defined levels and boss fights. Platforming starts out pretty simple with basic moves like the iconic wall run but gets more challenging the more you progress. Towards the end there's a few frustratingly hard moments where you have to push and release the right buttons in the right order or you fall to an instant death. Luckily you have the power to control time, at least a few times, which helps you to get through the particularly hard segments.




Fighting enemies and bosses with the sword is pretty straight forward, although the Prince has some tricks up his sleeve and that makes the combat a bit more interesting. Still, I would say that The Forgotten Sands is first and foremost a platforming game. It's both challenging and rewarding. I can't say I paid to much attention to the story but it was pretty basic for a game like this. You know, good guys vs. bad guys.




While no masterpiece, The Forgotten Sands was fun to play and for a game that came out six years ago it looks pretty good and plays decently. I kind of hope there would be a new Prince of Persia game in the future as I would definitely play it.

7.5/10


Comments

Popular