Resident Evil 3 (2020)

If someone would ask me what my favorite game or game series is, I probably wouldn't say Resident Evil. Which in a way is a bit weird, since I've played almost every game in the series, and even enjoyed them. Most of them have great atmosphere, solid gameplay and intense boss fights. For me it's maybe the story that mostly bothers me. I just can't keep up. That however, doesn't stop me from enjoying the epic one-liners and helicopter rides into the sunset. 

Resident Evil 3 is a remake of the 1999 game with the same name. It is a very similar remake to the previous Resident Evil 2 game that was released in 2019. It follows Jill Valentine and Carlos Oliveira who are trapped in Raccoon City in the middle of a zombie apocalypse. Apart from zombies, they are also being hunted by Nemesis, an intelligent bioweapon.

The game is a survival horror game, but a more action oriented one. I can't say there are any particularly scary moments. Still, you always have to be on your guard, there are zombies lurking around every corner. I was quite fond of the main characters Jill and Carlos. Jill is a competent heroine and Carlos, who first seems like a dumb brute, is quite likable. 

Boss fights with Nemesis are intense but fair. In the game you are punished for making a mistake, but at least it is your own fault, and you know it. It's not some kind of bad gameplay mechanic that causes you to fail over and over again. The only thing I still hate is that even when your character is running it feels way too slow.

An other issue with RE3 is the length of the campaign. It is short. And it does not offer the same replay value as RE2, where you could choose to play from either Leon's or Claire's perspective. The problem is not even the length, but the price. I would not pay 60 euros for a game this short. In my opinion the starting price should be cut in half to be more reasonable.

Now, I borrowed this game from the library so I didn't pay anything for it. Even if I said it doesn't have much replay value, I might buy it in the future, if it's on sale. With that said, I enjoyed the game and I recommend it, but I would not pay the full price for it.

PS. I made some videos on how to defeat the Nemesis in all four boss fights. you can find them below or watch them on my youtube channel.








Comments

Popular