Tomb Raider: Underworld (PS3)

Tomb Raider: Underworld is the last entry in the "old trilogy" before the 2013 reboot of the franchise. It features Lara traveling around the world in search for Norse mythology artefacts and also an evil Lara clone and a lot of trial and error.


The last entry in the new rebooted trilogy of Tomb Raider, Shadow of the Tomb Raider is already over a year old and I’m feeling a bit nostalgic about the series. I realized that there are still TR-games that I have yet to play. The first one of them that I got my hands on was Tomb Raider Underworld.

I'm aware that I’m now playing these games in the wrong order, but I have also gotten my hands on the other two games, Legend and Anniversary. These games are disc only-games, so you almost have to buy secondhand copies if you want to play them on a console.

When it comes to Underworld, I am really fond of the game style, that is more focused on puzzles, exploring and platforming than story and fancy cinematics. You can easily just explore in silence for an hour or two without any kind of interruptions. Cinematics are almost exclusively reserved to the end of chapters. Most of the time you just have to figure out a lot of things by yourself by exploring and manipulating objects. In some chapters Lara can drive a motorcycle and even use it to complete some puzzles, a thing that is totally missing from the newer games.

What I don’t like about the game is the camera, the controls and the game breaking bugs. Since this is an older game, I can give it some slack on the controls and camera that sometimes makes Lara jump in the wrong direction twenty times in a row, dying in the process. However, when a bug causes artefacts to go missing from the inventory, artefacts that are essential to progressing in the game, I get frustrated. I had to play a whole chapter from the beginning because I hadn’t made any manual saves in between. Well, I learned from my mistake and after that I regularly made manual saves. I had a similar situation towards the end of the game. I'm not sure if it was a bug but still I had to reload a previous save because I couldn’t progress further.

Despite the unfortunate bugs I had a good time with the game and look forward to playing Legend and Anniversary.

I Payed 8 euros for this used game.

Comments

Popular