The Mass Effect Trilogy

Next up for review is the Mass Effect Trilogy. I was almost not going to play the Mass Effect games at first, because a game set in space did not really "tickle my fancy". Mass Effect 3 had not yet come out then and the first Mass Effect games was not available for PS3. Mass Effect 2 had gotten good reviews and that got me interested...but it was not until I saw the launch trailer, I really was sold. I know it's kind of cliché, but I'm a real sucker for those epic movie and video game trailers. I've posted the trailer below so you can see for yourself.


Pretty awesome huh? So I started to play Mass Effect 2 and it pretty much blew my mind. It took some time before I got into it, but when I did, I could not let go. The story, the characters and the hard choices you make, will change the way you look at video games. Some of the choices you make can lead to the death of your favorite characters and some times that's too much responsibility to handle. For example one of my favorite character was killed during the last mission due to my poor choosing skills, so I just had to retake the whole mission, I just could not let that happen even if it was 2am at the moment. I wanted to save everyone, dammit! I also knew that if the character is killed in Mass Effect 2 he or she is still going to be dead in Mass Effect 3.

After I had finished Mass Effect 2 there was a big hole inside me, so I had to go and get myself a copy of Mass Effect 3. The game had gotten mixed reviews from fans but mostly great reviews from critics. Most players had loved the game until...the ending. The ending of Mass Effect made fans furious and is  probably one of the most controversial video game endings of all time. I mean, I watched a 3 hour long documentary explaining the ending. And yeah, I can understand people had maybe wanted something more than they got, and it felt like a letdown that all they're choices did not really matter as much in the end.

However, I must say, I thought the ending was alright. The game itself was so amazing that I would not let the ending spoil the whole experience. It's not easy to make a good ending to a video game or a even a movie. Some like happy endings, some like sad endings and when expectations are high you feel let down, when it's not exactly what you wanted it to be.

So I was kind of content with the ending and did not think much about it until... I watched a documentary of the ending, which explains a fan made indoctrination theory that explains why the ending is not all what it seems...and I was totally mindblown...again. Even if it's just a theory, (and a lot of it checks out) even if it was not done intentionally by Bioware's, it's enough for me to make Mass Effect 3 one of the best games I've ever played.

For anyone who has played Mass Effect 3 the Indoctrination theory documentary is a must see, so I've posted it below.



I had played both Mass Effect 2 and 3 and I was really excited to hear that they were going to release Mass Effect 1 for PS3. I just had to download it the same day it came out. It is a great game and It answered much of the questions I had concerning Saren and all that happened before the second game. Of course it's a little bit older so it does not play as well and look as great but the things that really matter in the Mass Effect series are all there, the characters, the conversations and the story.




Game: Mass Effect
Genre: RPG/Action
Year: 2007
Developer: Bioware
Multiplayer: No
Awesomeness: 8
Immersion: 8,5
Playability: 8
Storyline: 9,5
Replay Value: 9

My Rating: 9

                                                





Game: Mass Effect 2
Genre: RPG/Action
Year: 2011 (PS3)
Developer: Bioware
Multiplayer: No
Awesomeness: 10
Immersion: 10
Playability: 9
Storyline: 10
Replay Value: 9.5
Music Score: 8

My Rating: 10








Game: Mass Effect 3
Genre: RPG/Action
Year: 2012
Developer Bioware
Multiplayer: Yes
Awesomeness: 10
Immersion: 10
Playability: 10
Storyline: 9,5
Replay Value: 9,5
Music Score: 9,5


My Rating: 10



















Comments

Popular