My Year in Gaming 2020

Christmas came and went. New Years Eve is knocking on the door. 2020 might have been a shitty year but that hasn't stopped me from playing some awesome games. 

Some of them are new. Some of them are a bit older. According to my blogging history, I've played 14 games in total this year. This is my year in gaming.

From playing a smooth assassin in Hitman 2 to a rugged viking in Assassin's Creed Valhalla, I've stepped into roles and worlds I probably couldn't experience in real life. That's the power of video games. True immersion.  

Game worlds are literally playing grounds where you can be yourself, but also someone else for a while. Places where you can fail without real life consequences. You're allowed to fail. So, you can try things out. Be creative. This creativity can carry out into other parts of your life. Hopefully.

There are scientific studies saying that video games can improve your reaction time, short-time memory and decision making. But they're also about control. Predictability. In a world where randomness reigns, games can offer some structure, rules, and control.

I recently started watching the limited series, The Queen's Gambit on Netflix, and when Beth is asked by one reporter why she loves chess, she says the following.

"Chess isn't always competitive. Chess can also be beautiful. It was the board I noticed first. It's an entire world of just 64 squares. I feel safe in it. I can control it. I can dominate it. And it's predictable, so if I get hurt, I only have myself to blame."

In the quote she is talking about chess of course, but in my opinion the same thing can apply to any type of game. The quote really stuck with me and for a semi-control freak like me, this makes perfect sense. Games are safe, predictable and controllable. Unlike real life. 

Anyway, I'm rambling. Below are the games I've played in 2020. You can access the full review by clicking the image below each game. Happy New Year!

Hitman 2

Hitman 2 does not vary much from its predecessor but the formula still works. I know it has become somewhat a joke, that reviewers always say that the game makes you "feeel" like this or that, but Hitman 2 truly does make you feel like a real hitman.

Screenshot Playstation 4

Red Dead Redemption 2

I still can't make up my mind what I think about RDR2. Sure, It has a mature story, full of emotion and betrayal. A vast open world. Exciting missions. Still, you can't escape the fact that the game is boring and feels like a chore at times. 

RDR2 Screenshot PS4

Days Gone

Days Gone is the prime example why you shouldn't rely too much on reviews or critics. Just play. See for yourself. Days Gone might be the best game I played in 2020.

Screenshot PS4

Guardians of the Galaxy: The Telltale Series

Though nothing special, GOTG is fun lighthearted story driven game and a good complement for anyone who also likes the movies.

The Telltale series

Control

Control is refreshingly weird and exciting and unlike anything I've played before. It's not quite as good as Alan Wake but close. 

Control Game screenshot PS4

Star Wars Battlefront II

One of the two Star Wars games I've played this year. A decent Star Wars game where you get two fly some space ships and shoot storm troopers.

Star Wars

Call of Duty: WWII

The game version of Band of Brothers. Some cool levels and a great score but ultimately a quite forgettable experience.

Cod

Erica

An interactive movie, more than a game. I played it twice just to see different events and endings.
It felt a bit low budget at first but it's a decent game/movie.

Erica game screenshot PS4

Resident Evil 3

Jill Valentine kicking zombie-ass, what's not to like? If only the game was a bit longer.

RE 3 Screenshot PS4

A Plague Tale: Innocence

An impressive and atmospheric game with a phenomenal music score. This is a real gem.

Screenshot PS4

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order

Exciting and fun platforming in a beautiful game world. More Indiana Jones than Star Wars but in a good way. 

Screenshot PS4

L.A. Noire Remastered

I replayed L.A. Noire, the Remastered version for PS4. Not much has changed since the PS3 version but the game is still one of the most original games I've played.


Resident Evil HD Remastered

One of the best survival horror games out there if you don't mind the outdated graphics and controls. A true horror experience.

Screenshot PS4

Assassin's Creed: Valhalla

I'm now 85 hours in and I haven't yet finished the main storyline. This game is huge. My review is coming but I can already say that the game is up to par with Origins and Odyssey. In the meantime you can read my first impressions here.

AC Valhalla screenshot PS4





Comments

Popular