How to Open Up and Clean Your PS4 (Video Tutorial)

PS4

Last year when my PS4 was starting to get really loud while playing certain games, I opened it up and cleaned the fan. The result was a much quieter console. Since then I haven't experienced nearly as loud volumes coming from the fan. Nevertheless, I thought it be a good idea to open it up before it starts acting up again. While the biggest problem is that dust gets stuck in the fan, this time I also took out the power supply to get to the dust trapped in the heat sink. Below you can find the video of me opening up my PlayStation 4.



After the cleaning I measured the sound levels with a decibel meter app on my smartphone. In hindsight, I wish that I would have thought about that before I cleaned it. Well at least I have some kind of reference for the next time.

When the PlayStation is idle (not playing games, no apps running) I measured 35 dB (on top of the console) At these volumes it is hardly even noticeably unless you specifically focus on it.

When playing Assassin's Creed Valhalla I measured 54 dB (on top of the console). This noise is noticeably and louder than you would like it to be. It's still on an acceptable level and doesn't significantly interfere with your gaming.

Comments

Popular