Red Dead Redemption 2 (PS4)

Almost ten years ago the original Red Dead Redemption was released. Ever since fans of the game have been waiting for a sequel. Red Dead Redemption 2 came out last year and I have finally had the time to play through it.


I’m no stranger to slow games. I play my fair share of different kinds of games, still I have to admit RDR2 can be painfully slow, especially in the beginning. Not only does it feel like you don’t really progress, every activity just takes a lot of time.


However, RDR2 is not the kind of game you want to rush through just to see the credits roll. I experienced this the hard way. From the beginning I knew that the game was going to be a slow burn but still I felt myself rushing. That was obviously the wrong approach.


Still, pushing through the first chapters requires some patience while getting used to the different systems, inventory management and horse care. The game does not explicitly tell everything so it's up to the player to explore and figure things out.

Luckily you get used to it after a while and I actually started to like the little things, like choosing the right rifle for hunting different animals. Things that bothered me in the beginning. If you loot camps and bodies, you rarely have to cook or craft items or buy food. Hunting and fishing are also mostly optional if that is not your thing.


There are still things that annoy me, though, particularly how Arthur moves. Getting him to focus on a specific item is sometimes a real challenge. I also dislike the slow walking at camp and the fast traveling system.

Until Chapter 4 in the game it feels that there is a lot of hand-holding, like you are mainly a spectator and not an active agent in the game. From then on I started to spend as little time as possible at the camp and instead go on my own adventures, alone. When I started doing the Stranger missions and bounties, I suddenly began to enjoy myself a lot more.


It's not that the story and the story missions are bad but it really took me a long time to actually start to care about the characters. Arthur for me, was in the beginning just a simple brute, but spending more time with him I started to like him. I learned to enjoy the world and there are a lot of interesting things to find if you just keep looking. The story also picks up the pace later on and delivers a satisfying conclusion.


The game is fairly easy, you can take a lot of hits before you go down. I only died a couple of times, mostly by making some silly mistake. Shooting is mostly just duck and cover, and enemy AI is dumb. It doesn’t really require much skill to take down several dozens of enemies. Hunting is also more preparation than skill. So, while the world can be quite amazing, I think gameplay is a bit outdated.

To put it simply, RDR2 is not the best game I've played but it is good. However, to enjoy it you have to really work for it.

Comments

Popular