Journey (PS4)

I am not always late to the party but when I am, I'm four years late and only now realizing what the fuzz is all about. I'm of course talking about the award winning game Journey. When the game first was released in 2012 it was praised by critics and took home several game of the year awards that year and not without reason. Journey is despite it's short length an amazing experience not to be missed.



Just recently I played Soma, a first-person horror mystery game which was to say the least an intense and thrilling experience. That game had you on the edge of your seat almost constantly (more on that later). When I went on playing Journey I had almost the opposite experience. I felt so calm and relaxed and was drawn into the game immediately and completely. Two to three hours later (I didn't keep count) I had completed my journey and I felt great.




The serene landscape and the beautiful music gives you goosebumps. The subtle sounds express emotion without any dialog and the game uses the controller's vibration system brilliantly. The game doesn't have any complex game mechanics or puzzles. You are instead free to explore and find out for yourself how things work.



Journey is pretty short but I think that's a good thing. It's clearly meant to played in one session, it's not a game that works really well if you pause it halfway through and continue the next day. That breaks the immersion and experience completely and you don't want that.

8/10

Comments

Popular