GTA V

Okay, I must admit I'm a bit embarrassed how long it took for me to write a review on GTA V, let alone how long it took before I actually played and finished the game. Somehow the enormous hype around the game got me less interested in it, it was too popular and too mainstream (I'm such a hipster).

A part from that I didn't really like GTA IV that much and though it was praised a lot by critics I did not find it particularly fun to play. The characters were not likable and some were very annoying (I'm talking to you Roman). That kind of left me with a bad taste in my mouth and that's one reason why it took me so long to play GTA V. A game that is the fastest selling entertainment product in history, probably the most expensive game ever made and nothing short from perfect when it comes to a video game. And now that I've played, finished and very much enjoyed the game that is GTA V, I have to say, there are literally...no...words.

Okay, maybe there are a few words. First of, GTA V is so much more fun to play than GTA IV, the characters are likable and feel authentic. The world map is huge, detailed and stunningly beautiful. The missions are plentiful, very varied and fun to play and in many of them you can choose your own approach. Which is basically what GTA is all about, playing it your own way. And you can pretty much do anything you want in Los Santos, the sky is the limit (literally).

Probably the thing I like most about the game (apart from Trevor) is how it so accurately (satirically) depicts the world we live in today. It really brings out the cynic in you but hopefully also something to make you change the way you live your life and realize how much crap you feed inside your brain and how much useless things you could live without. Like video games for example. No, but that's just it. Video games are usually seen as something evil and a waste of time but I would say there are far more useless timewasters than video games. For an outsider GTA V may look like a game where you go around killing people (well....basically) but if you follow the story, listen to the things they say on the radio, look around the city you quickly see the satire that the whole game is based on is meant to draw attention to the problematic issues in our society with the intent of improving it. Or I'm just trying to sound smart and justifying my habit of playing violent video games. Either way GTA V is a video game you should not hesitate to play (like I did).

9.5/10




Comments

Popular