Assassin's Creed: Odyssey DLC (PS4)

I don’t usually buy season passes or DLC but when I saw the season pass for Assassin’s Creed Odyssey on sale, I couldn’t help myself, I wanted more. At this time, I had already sunk over 130 hours into the main game.
 
The season pass includes two DLC stories, each divided into two different story arcs, plus the remastered versions of Assassin’s Creed III and Liberation. For 20 euros this is a pretty good deal.


Legacy of the first Blade


The first DLC, Legacy of the first Blade, is set in the same game world as the main game. Even though the map is huge, this is a bit disappointing since I have already spent over 100 hours exploring every part of the world. As the name of the DLC suggests you’ll meet the man carrying the first hidden blade. With him by your side you’ll fight against members of the Order of the Ancients, similar to the Cult members.

The story has some cool moments but it’s mainly more of the same. Not bad of course if you liked the main game. However, they then go and force the player to make some choices that you necessarily don’t want, only to get the ending they have intended. Not cool. It just felt wrong and didn’t feel true to the character. While I otherwise thought Legacy of the First Blade was ok, that left me with a bad taste in my mouth.


I am also getting more and more annoyed at the modern-day story character Layla. She’s quite simply, an arrogant douche. The only thing that could justify her behavior is, if they are actually setting her up to be the antagonist in the next game. That’s how unlikable she is.


Fate of Atlantis

When it comes to Fate of Atlantis I have more positive things to say. This feels more like a DLC. In it you get to travel to new exotic locations and meet the Gods. I am a big fan of ancient Greek mythology, so this was a huge plus. At this point your character is also very powerful. A demigod ready to play alongside the Gods. 


However, your enemies have upped their game too. In Fate of Atlantis you face new enemies and you must adopt your fighting style accordingly. It still feels like a power fantasy but taking on multiple enemies is a bit of a struggle.


The verticality of these new locations is both cool and annoying. You can use “Wings of Hermes” elevators to reach high places but they are not always where you like them to be and climbing is not always an option. 


The ending of the last episode of Fate of the Atlantis felt a bit anti-climactic and seemed only to set up the modern day story for the next game. The verdict. If you liked the main game and want more missions and some new cool locations go ahead and get the DLC. However, it is not essential and there are even some things (I’m talking about the forced choices in Legacy of the first Blade) I wish I could unsee. 





Comments

Popular