God of War (PS4)

The year 2018 was a good year in gaming. There were so many great releases that I'm still catching up on playing them all. Spider-Man and Red Dead Redemption 2 are two games that I still haven't had the time (and pleasure) of playing. However, I can now cross the Playstation exclusive God of War off my list.


God of War (PS4) is the eight installment in the long running series first released on the Playstation 2.  The newest game reimagined the series to make it a more story driven and cinematic experience for the player and moved from the previous ancient Greece setting to ancient Norway. The game is loosely based on Norse Mythology and you'll encounter characters and places known from ancient Norse lore.


To give it a more immersive feel the whole game is in "one shot" which means the game never breaks into a loading screen or cut scene unless you choose to pause or reload. I have to say that this (and the throwable axe) was one of the best things about the game and I hope future games will utilize this type of presentation.


The protagonist, Kratos, is now and old man and has a son, Atreus. Their father-son relationship is tested by the death of Kratos' wife and Atreus' mother. The story revolves around fulfilling the wish of his dead wife, to scatter her ashes from the top of the highest peak. This proves not to be an easy task, since gods, creatures and beasts lurk around every corner. On this journey both father and son will have to learn how to fight, survive and deal with their past and heritage.


God of War starts out great and is in many ways the perfect game. It's immersive, has an interesting and emotional story and offers challenging and satisfying gameplay. The ability to upgrade and craft armor also gives incentive to explore and loot. The only real problem I had with the game was that about half way in it started to feel dragged out. It felt like you were fighting the same enemies over and over again and never reaching your destination, whereas in the beginning there was more variation.


Many have said that God of War was the best game of 2018 and I would agree that is definitely a must play. For me however, based on the games I've played Assassin's Creed Odyssey is my game of the year 2018.

Price I paid: 24,90 €, worth every cent

Screenshots










Comments

Popular