Assassin´s Creed Unity: Dead Kings

In compensation for the many bugs in Assassin's Creed Unity causing problems for a lot of players, Ubisoft offered the expansion Dead Kings for free to everyone who had bought the game.
Apart from a few annoyances that I had while playing AC Unity, bugs didn't bother me that much. I think however it was a fairly good gesture on Ubisoft behalf to offer the expansion for free, I would probably not have bought it otherwise. Anyway, now I've played through it and these are my thoughts.

The trailer to Dead Kings showed a darker story set in the city of Saint Denis and even teased long time fans of the series with a sneak peek of the apple of eden (as we know from earlier games Napoleon allegedly was in possession of it at some time). This was definitely some of the things that really piqued my interest and last weekend I played through it.

AC Unity: Dead Kings has a darker and more mysterious feel to it and you spend a lot of time underground. To your new arsenal you now have a lantern and a guillotine gun. The lantern you use to keep away scary creatures of the night and the guillotine gun well, is useful keeping other creatures at bay. It is quite satisfying grouping enemies together with cherry bombs or berserk blades and then blasting away with the guillotine gun. The lantern doesn't really give you the same satisfaction.

The story isn't quite what I imagined and sadly falls a bit flat in my mind. However the setting and the atmosphere is good and there are some very memorable moments. There are also a good amount of side missions, riddles and puzzles to keep you occupied for quite some time.

Ultimately Dead Kings doesn't offer that much new and exiting, but for a free game (you can't argue with free) it is alright. I've also been re-playing a lot of the missions from AC Unity in order to get 100% synchronization and the missions are still a lot of fun. Some of them even more fun now because you're much better at beating them. Some of the missions in Dead Kings where quite challenging so maybe I will give Dead Kings one more play through also and find it even more enjoyable the second try.

7.5/10





Comments

Popular