Don't ever grow up!

“Being a geek is all about being honest about what you enjoy and not being afraid to demonstrate that affection. It means never having to play it cool about how much you like something. It’s basically a license to proudly emote on a somewhat childish level rather than behave like a supposed adult. Being a geek is extremely liberating.” 
― Simon Pegg

There's just something that speaks to me in this quote by Simon Pegg (probably most famous for Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz) and that's why I wanted to start this post with this quote. I wanted to talk about the "childish" things we do and like and why it's not necessarily a bad thing. I for example like video games, Star Wars and super heroes, so that probably makes me a geek too. And you see, I can get a little obsessed about the video games I play. And I'm not particularly talking about getting obsessed about playing them but obsessed in everything around them also. I play them over and over, read about them and get really excited when the next one in the series comes out. My biggest obsessions yet are probably Assassin's Creed and Mass Effect. They have literally changed my life and made a huge impact on the way I view games and the game industry.

It almost sounds insane, changed my life? I am a grown man for devils sake, but I can't help it, this is who I am and what I like. And I mean anything can change your life, even if it is just for a little bit. Im not saying I am as obsessed with these games as a teenage girl is obsessing over Justin Bieber, but I just want to know everything about the story, the characters and the game in general. What I am trying to say though is that a little obsession/affection like this can be healthy. It means you care about something deeply and that ultimately makes life more meaningful and fun. So, if your obsession is video games, sports, fashion or even…I can't beliebe I'm going to say this …even Justin Bieber, then good for you. It just means you are passionate and care about something so much that even if it is a little nerdy or embarrassing you just don't care what anyone else thinks because you can't see a reason not to love it.

These obsessions and affections finally got me thinking about excitement and how once you grow older things tend to lose their ability to excite and interest. It gets harder and harder to get that feeling of joy and excitement you get when you experience something for the first time. That is why I think it is very important not to be embarrassed about things that still excite you, even if it is Star Wars or Pokemón. There is no magical age when you seize to be a kid and start being an adult. There just isn't. It's all in our heads. That is why I'm going to end this with another quote that I have seen all over the internet. (don't know the source though) Btw, that is me in the picture.
















Comments

Popular