Resident Evil 2 (PS4)

Resident Evil 2 (2019) is a remake of the original game that came out in 1998. And when I say remake, I mean a real remake, not simply a remaster. This game is built from the ground up, using today’s technology. This is probably how the developers imagined the game when they made it back in the 90’s.


I like this idea of bringing old games to life using new technology. Not only do players get to relive some nostalgic gameplay but also experience it the way it was supposed to be experienced. I am not saying that old games weren’t good, but you can’t deny that games today are more realistic and more approachable.


I haven’t played the original RE2 which is a real shame. I remember that I have watched friends play it, but I have never played it myself. This means I can’t compare them, but it also means I’m not playing the game through nostalgic glasses. I’m playing the game with fresh eyes comparing it to other games from the past years.


RE2 is meant to be played two times. One time with Leon Kennedy and one with Claire Redfield. Only then will you get the “true ending”. I played Leon A and Claire B. But you can also start with Claire in which case you should play Leon B the second time.


The game will fill you with dread and when your ammo and health are low you will feel pretty helpless. When you finally get through a difficult section of the game the relief is real. Also, during your first run when you feel you got things under control there is a surprise that will have you listening for heavy footsteps behind every corner.


While simultaneously feeling too short and too long the game leaves me with some mixed feelings. I enjoyed the first playthrough with Leon but my second run with Claire felt too repetitive. I think maybe I should have waited sometime before I made my second run. The campaigns differ a bit but were still similar enough to make you feel that you’re just doing the same stuff all over again.


My total playtime for the game was 15 hours but it can be much shorter if you rush it. I also learned too late to use the map for guiding me instead of running around in circles. So, a pro tip is to use the map a lot and always find the shortest route to your objective, it will save you time and zombie encounters.


Beside of the horror factor the most enjoyable aspect of the game was the puzzles and finding keys and other items needed for you to progress. While the Resident Evil games can be a bit inconsistent they never let you down. I can highly recommend this game that I got for 20 euros.

Comments

Popular