Brothers in Arms: Hell´s Highway

I played Medal of Honor:Warfighter a little way back just because it was free on Playstation Plus and  while I didn't really have any high expectations for it I did enjoy it and remembered how much fun first person war games can be.

That's when I found Brothers in Arms: Hells Highway, a World War II strategic shooter that came out in 2008 that I hadn't heard about until now. I found it really cheap online and ordered it right away.

While it might feel a bit outdated at first it has a nice atmosphere and I get that same kind of feeling I got when playing Medal of Honor: Underground on my first Playstation back in the day. The story and the music is heavily influenced by Band of Brothers and Saving Private Ryan and that is obviously a good thing. When it comes to gameplay and strategy it takes some getting used to.

First things first, Hell´s Highway is not Call of Duty and therefore you can't play it like you're playing Call of Duty. It instead tries to bring a more authentic approach to war-games and instead of running around shooting up nazis, you use strategy to advance on the battlefield and use cover as much as possible. For me, this resulted in a few frustrating moments at first but ultimately provided a exhilarating experience in the end.

As a commander of your squad you give directions to your teams on the battlefield to beat the enemy by providing covering fire, taking out heavy artillery or flanking. This takes some getting used to but you learn it pretty fast. Your teammates can sometimes be a bit stupid though and they don't always stay behind cover the way you would want them to, so keep that in mind when assigning them to different spots.

There are some small annoyances worth mentioning. As the default settings, speech is too low and subtitles are disabled. When you try to fix the settings they don't stay that way instead in every new cutscene the settings go back to default and you can't hear a thing they're saying. So if you want to follow the story this is a bit of a problem. There might be fix for this but I haven't found it.

I'm probably not going to play Brothers in Arms: Hell´s Highway twice but as far as WWII games go it's one of the better.

7.5/10





Comments

Popular