Portal

While trying to catch up with games that I have missed in the past I decided to try out Portal. (Steam had it on sale and I ended up buying both Portal and Portal 2 for only 7 euros) Portal is a first person shooter puzzle solving game and was acclaimed one of the most original games in 2007 and was praised by critics for its unique gameplay and humor.

I have just finished Portal and I've also begun playing the sequel, Portal 2, and I am very impressed with both games. I've played them both on my computer and having played almost exclusively on  console the last couple of years, I pretty much sucked at this game... at first. But once my muscle memory slowly started to remember how to seamlessly work with a mouse and keyboard, the game went from being a chore to a puzzle solving mind expander.

Let me elaborate on that. What I mean is that the idea of thinking with portals literally starts to change your mind and how you think about physics, at least for me. Believe me, I had trouble sleeping after a session of Portal. Once in a while I would even wake up from a dream where I was trying to solve a problem with portals. It was if as my brain had to adjust to the concept of being able to travel to portals and was unconsciously working out this problem while I was sleeping.

Even if this is not a totally new experience for me (being influenced by video games in my sleep that is) it still can be a little annoying. But I also keep thinking that if something influenced me enough that I keep dreaming about it, it certainly has had a huge impact on me and therefore deserves a lot of credit. (Maybe I should start reviewing games based on my dreams. No but, I'm just fascinated about dreams I guess)

Yes, but enough about my irrational dreaming habits and let's focus on the the actual game itself. Portal is a puzzle solving shooter where instead of shooting bullets you shoot portals. The goal is to get past different obstacles using portals. And at times, it gets a bit tricky. There is also a computer voice that is somewhat guiding you on your way both praising and insulting you in a very humorous manner. What makes the game even more interesting is that there is a bigger story behind the puzzels and as you solve more and more of the puzzles you come to realize some things are not as they seem...

While Portal can become a little frustrating at times, solving the puzzles are mostly fun and you actually feel really smart and proud of yourself once you've solved them. And also the dark and witty humor makes up for the game being very short. If you haven't played Portal yet, you should definitely give it a try. 9/10



Comments

Popular