Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings (Xbox 360)

Now that I have an Xbox 360, I finally got to play the Witcher 2. Ever since I played The Witcher 3 I have been mesmerized by the world of the witcher and I have read all the books that games are based on. I tried playing The Witcher 2 on my MacBook Pro a couple of years ago but that didn’t work, apparently my graphic card was not supported. When I tried the game, the computer-fan was so loud that I was afraid that the whole thing would fly out through the window.


So, I bought a copy of The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings Enhanced Edition through an auction site and paid 10 euros for it. The game was in good condition and it included the game (which comes on two discs), a physical game guide, a physical map and a soundtrack CD.


From the start, I decided to play the game on the easy difficulty because my first impression of the combat was that it was clunky, and I was more interested in the story than the combat anyway. On this difficulty the combat didn’t offer much of a challenge but not much frustration either, so I was content with my choice.

The age of the game (it was released in 2011) shows and after the masterpiece, The Witcher 3, I found it a bit hard to get into. It gets easier once you get to know your way around the game. If you want to get everything out of the game, I recommend reading documents and mission updates from the inventory menu. Although the armor and swords don’t look as good as in Witcher 3 I liked crafting and finding new items to equip Geralt with.

I also liked the characters in The Witcher 2, but I seriously missed characters like Yennefer, Ciri and Vesemir. And most importantly, I missed playing Gwent. There is of course dice poker, but it just isn’t the same☹

Without your trusted steed, Roach, you also spend a lot of time running back and forth which I found a little tedious. I also noticed that I wanted to rush through the game just to know how it finishes. I was not savoring every moment like I did with Witcher 3, which I almost never wanted to finish.

Comparing Witcher 2 and 3 is not a great way to review the game but it is also quite unavoidable. The Witcher 2 is not a definitive must play but if you want more of Geralt and his adventures then go ahead and you will have a good time. Just don’t expect the same experience as The Witcher 3.

Comments

Popular