Wolfenstein: The New Order

I played Wolfenstein: The New Order a while back but didn't manage to write a review on the game before now.



It's hard to be objective while writing a review because your experience depends on several things. For example just before I started playing Wolfenstein, I had just finished Alien Isolation which was an absolutely thrilling gaming experience. So when I started playing Wolfenstein it didn't come close to Alien, in terms of graphics, immersion and gameplay. That first impression, however, changed during the course of the game and I realized that Wolfenstein, while not a great game in my opinion, does what it's suppose to do quite well.




Wolfenstein: The New Order is a classic fast paced, somewhat mindless action shooter that doesn't leave you with any longer lasting impressions. It's an action-packed ride that sometimes tries to be a stealth game but fails miserable in doing so. Even though shooting nazis in an alternate universe where the nazis actually won the war, seems like a cool idea it's also a fairly safe choice. The bad guys are evil nazis and you´re obviously the good guys. Although there is one scene in the game that actually adresses this overly simplified view of the world and that is when J, the resistance member that very much resembles Jimmy Hendrix, says to Blazkowicz that "Back home, you were the nazis" which I thought was a pretty good line.



Anyway, the boss fights are pretty fun and challenging, the visuals are juicy and the game has some interesting characters and a decent story but all in all it's not the best shooter I've played. Its not great but its not bad either and I didn't totally waste my life playing it.

+ Nazis
+ Boss Fights
+ That one line

- Bad stealth
- Linear

7/10




Comments

Popular